Author Topic: Timekeepers  (Read 9316 times)

Offline amandel

Re: Timekeepers
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2017, 05:52:32 AM »
Yum! A tasty new puzzle (page 3). Thx. R. Also, maybe a factoid yet we're finally referencing one of Timekeeper's homepage names:

1) Virginia Wolfe 2) Albert Einstein 3) Isaac Newton 4) Clyde Tombaugh 5) T. S. Eliot
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 05:56:05 AM by amandel »
"I could write a hell of a paper on a grown man who dresses like a flying rodent."

Offline Apis

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2017, 11:21:45 AM »
(Hi, jumping in after lurking for a while. Hope that's okay)
The special theory of relativity has to do with objects in relation to eqch other when moving at a constant speed. General relativity was the theory proven by an eclipse. General theory states that the mass of an object warps the spacetime around it, so light should not be able to travel in a straight line, instead it should curve slightly from gravitational forces.

Offline Russell

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2017, 04:32:17 PM »
OK so i tweeted both types of eclipse and both types of relativity although no update to the page (although both liked by timekeeper so they have seen it), so what are we missing?  They are also two types of theory....?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:35:14 PM by Russell »

Offline Escobar

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2017, 04:55:24 PM »
I still think youre on the right track with that general and special relativity... Like Apis said the general theory is proven by an eclipse.
Just assume they just didnt get around to answer us yet. Otherwise, they had sent an email about the fact that the given answer is wrong.

Just hold in there  ;D

I do feel the game emerges a bit too slow though, but on the other hand... am an impatience creature :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 06:02:27 PM by Escobar »

Offline amandel

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2017, 11:36:25 PM »
Morning all. Update at: http://designation000.com/relativity.html Text:"We move on to (and through):" Pic ideas below

Spoiler: show
Book is  Cunningham's "The Hours" with a paper showing what looks alot like Egyptian hieroglyph for "horizon (mountain with rising sun)
"I could write a hell of a paper on a grown man who dresses like a flying rodent."

Offline Dominic1978

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2017, 01:40:48 AM »
New e-mail:

Dear Trusted Friends,

Thank you for your patience. Mari and I have been busy running all over D.C. and we've scarcely had time to breathe.

When we arrived at the Capital on Sunday things were a bit crazy. They were about to close and there was a long line to pass through the metal detectors. While we were patting ourselves to make sure we didn't have any metal objects hidden away, an elderly man in front of us asked us what we were doing there. I threw all caution to the wind and told him we were looking for a man named Attis. He nodded and smiled patiently as I told him my story, but then just as we arrived at the front of the line he gave us a wink, turned on his heel, and ran. And let me tell you, he was quite nimble for an elderly man!

Mari and I just looked at each other, shrugged, and chased after him. It was like something from a comedy. We caught sight of him up ahead, running down the street, weaving and bobbing in and out among the throng of pedestrians. At one point we almost lost him, but then we caught up with him in front of an ice cream shop.

He stopped abruptly, threw up his hands, and said, "Well, ladies, you caught me. Now I will buy you an ice cream."

Astonished, we followed him into the shop, figuring it was a public place and he was a rather small and frail-looking man. Surely he couldn't do much harm to us here?

After ordering our ice cream we sat at a corner table. I leaned forward and whispered, "Are you Attis?"

He chucked. "Oh, my dear. Oh, no. No, I am not. But I think I know who might be able to find him."

I sat back with relief and ate some of my ice cream. "Well, that's something."

"In fact, I will tell you a wonderful story about Attis, but first you need to do me an enormous favor."

"What is that?"

"Tomorrow I want to see the eclipse, and also a historical site that has some personal meaning for me. Will you accompany me tomorrow to Washington Union Station? I can meet you in the morning outside my hotel."

We agreed to meet him and he gave us his information. This morning, Monday, we showed up wondering if he would be there. He was there in a dapper-looking suit, incongruously carrying a backpack and a pair of eclipse glasses. We were about to spend the day with a total stranger, and, I hoped, find out more about Attis.

To be continued...

Offline Apis

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2017, 07:48:28 AM »
Morning all. Update at: http://designation000.com/relativity.html Text:"We move on to (and through):" Pic ideas below

Book is  Cunningham's "The Hours" with a paper showing what looks alot like Egyptian hieroglyph for "horizon (mountain with rising sun)

Looks like another of the names is showing up!
Virginia Woolf is one of the main characters in The Hours.

I decided to see if the real Virginia had written anything about time. Turned up this quote: "Time, unfortunately, though it makes animals and vegetables bloom and fade with amazing punctuality, has no such simple effect upon the mind of man. The mind of man, moreover, works with equal strangeness upon the body of time. An hour, once it lodges in the queer element of the human spirit, may be stretched to fifty or a hundred times its clock length; on the other hand, an hour may be accurately represented on the timepiece of the mind by one second."
So, more about time being subjective.

Offline Russell

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2017, 08:25:19 AM »
The image on the post it note may also just be a pictorial representation of the curvature of peacetime around an object such as a planet. Not sure where that leads us though.

If it is a horizon and we are "moving through" it then we have black hole related threads to follow.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:27:56 AM by Russell »

Offline amandel

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2017, 11:20:37 AM »
Hi All again. New tweet: "She loves her curves." It leads to  some new pages*spoilered*

http://designation000.com/spacetime.html A statement there attributed to Niels Bohr leads to http://designation000.com/bohr.html and, I believe for the moment, finally to http://designation000.com/atom.html
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:42:33 AM by amandel »

Offline Russell

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2017, 12:59:52 PM »
Good finds, thats really odd as i am sure i had tried the first option  :o

In fact i just read my previous post where i suggested spacetime as the answer but my phone autocorrected to peacetime....maybe thats why the link didnt work lol  ;D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:12:54 PM by Russell »

Offline Escobar

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2017, 01:44:10 PM »
Another reference to the Beatles, same song, another line :o :

"I've seen that road before, and it always leads me here."
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/beatles/thelongandwindingroad.html

Offline Russell

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2017, 04:12:36 PM »
What was the first reference to the beatles?

Offline Escobar

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2017, 04:23:14 PM »
"...long and winding road..."

Found by Amandel in the email from Georgia "First contact in DC"

Offline Apis

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2017, 04:24:48 PM »
What was the first reference to the beatles?

Reference bolded below:

New e-mail:

The first thing Mari and I did was head to the US Botanic Gardens on a tip from a friend. After wandering around for a bit we went to the gift shop and asked about Attis. Nobody had any idea what we were talking about.

However, later, when we went to have lunch, we encountered a pretty strong clue. Somebody left a postcard on our windshield, wedged under one of the windshield wipers, which gave us both a start.

"Are we being followed?" Mari asked, alarmed.

"Possibly," I said, pulling the post card out and looking at it carefully. "But if we are being followed it might be by a friend rather than a foe. This is a post card of a statue of Attis wearing a Phrygian cap."

"Oh!" Mari exclaimed. "Where is the statue located?"

"This particular statue is at the Louvre."

"Paris! How can that be? I thought we were supposed to look in D.C."

"Don't worry," I said, "I think we're supposed to be in D.C. I'm certainly not jetting off to France. I think this is just another clue. I knew it wouldn't be easy to find my father. I'm expecting a long and winding road with lots of twists and turns."

Mari nodded. "Okay, well let's go eat and put our heads together to see if we can solve this."

To be continued...

Offline amandel

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2017, 05:23:28 PM »
Hi Apis. My twitter is: amandel77.Follow me & I'll follow you back tomorrow. Yup, Russell, some  Beatles supposition on P.3
*pooped out* so Cyas...