Author Topic: The Alternate Reality Game / Hypercube  (Read 2261 times)

Offline Dominic1978

The Alternate Reality Game / Hypercube
« on: October 02, 2019, 12:46:36 PM »
I signed up for an e-mail list a while ago and received an e-mail.

A lot of the info is OoG. There's a (paid) metagame experience.

This is the ARG part:

Secret Portal
Code name: Hypercube
(It is recommended to visit the website before reading the following)

Dear Dominic,

I wanted to create something special for you --the members of the Guest List--, so I've prepared a temporary portal to The Game just for you.

The portal has different levels, each of them qualifying. Only those who unlock the first level will access the next, and so forth.

Hypercube will take place in front of everyone's eyes, but it will appear as if nothing is happening. Pretty much like The Game itself.

Breaking this inherent confidentiality --for example, by explaining publicly what's going on-- is pretty much the only thing that can get your Guest List privileges removed. But before we get into the specifics, I want to make sure that I'm not spoiling the classic game experience for you, if that's what you prefer...

Alice, Neo, and many players, follow white rabbits. The Hypercube proposal takes this one step further:

Why not become
the white rabbit yourself?
 _I'm in. Send me Hypercube's
coordinates.
 _Thank you, but I'm interested
in a more traditional
game experience.
You have until November 7th, 2019 at 23:59 CET to RSVP. If you've opted in, you will receive further instructions on November 22nd, 2019.

I clicked the first option and was directed to a page confirming my choice was recorded. (Sorry forgot the literal text, but it was just a mail list confirmation.)

The link to the site:
https://thealternaterealitygame.com/

If you enter, it leads to:
A shopping page with a poster. https://thealternaterealitygame.com/products/the-alternate-reality-game

I'm assuming there is a code to crack in that poster.

The meta video mentions that the game has already begun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FXQPo2NeR4

Offline Dominic1978

Re: The Alternate Reality Game / Hypercube
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 03:42:09 PM »
I marked the numbers on the poster.

The text reads from top to bottom.
First in English, then in Spanish (the same message in both languages).

If I read from top to bottom and left to right and mark the numbers, I get:

English: 3693336
Spanish: 6396669

When I ignore the languages and just follow top to bottom and left to right I get:

Offline catherwood

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 07:42:14 PM »
your attached image is missing a 9 in "Moldea.6tu.9propia.realidad.."

14 digits total =

3693336 vertical English
6396969 vertical Spanish

36369699333669 all verticals in sequence
36669639393936 reading across all columns

Offline Dominic1978

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 07:00:25 AM »
14 digits total =

3693336 vertical English
6396969 vertical Spanish

36369699333669 all verticals in sequence
36669639393936 reading across all columns

Thanks @catherwood!

Offline Syncopal

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 09:38:41 AM »
Just to have the words in the poster without the numbers:

A GAME for individuals with a high IQ

UN JUEGO para personas con alto cociente intelectual

Change the course of The Game

Cambia el curso del Juego         

Shape your own reality

Moldela tu propia realidad

It all starts by cracking a message

Todo empieza con un solo mensaje

Now with the numbers added:

A3 GAME for individuals with a high IQ

UN JUEGO para personas con alto cociente 6intele3ctual

Cha6nge the course of The Game

Cambia el curso del Juego         9 (Note: There are 9 spaces between the o in Juego and the 9)

Shape your own reality

Moldela 6tu 9propia realidad

It all93 starts by cracking3 a m3essag6e

Todo empieza con un so6lo m9ensaje
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 09:47:47 AM by Syncopal »

Offline Syncopal

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 10:13:07 AM »
“If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.”

- Nikola Tesla
[/b]

So apparently there is a "Tesla Vortex Code" that says that the numbers 3, 6, and 9 are the"keys to the universe" and my ARGy senses are always thrown up when I stumble across Tesla trying to solve a puzzle lol

https://blog.world-mysteries.com/science/why-did-tesla-say-that-369-was-the-key-to-the-universe/

On this site... they say the vortexes causes matter to disappear: (Maybe a reference to the disappearing text?)

https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-use-the-vortex-code-of-3-6-9-by-Nikola-Tesla

https://www.ancient-code.com/nikola-tesla-numbers-3-6-9-secret-key-free-energy/

https://www.michaelleehill.net/blogs/news/432-hz-unlocking-the-magnificence-of-the-3-6-and-9-the-key-to-the-universe

This site applies the theory to music and somehow breaks it down to 432 mHz:

https://www.michaelleehill.net/blogs/news/432-hz-unlocking-the-magnificence-of-the-3-6-and-9-the-key-to-the-universe

Here are some YouTube videos talking about the code:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJWbC1U8-7c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYaTtwimin4
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 10:17:45 AM by Syncopal »

Offline Syncopal

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 06:27:12 PM »
Ok I now don't think it has anything to do with Tesla... but there was a frame in the youtube video that had this... it's at 3:14 in the video:

Offline Syncopal

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 06:50:30 PM »
Spoiler: show
It's a ROT-1 cypher:

Translation:

Fdmdqhb ptdrshnmr nmkx fdmdqhb zmrvdqr.
Generic questions only generic answers.

Rodbhehb ptdrshnmr vhkk szjd xnt etsgdq.
Specific questions will take you further

Adbnld zm Hmrhcdq zmc unsd nm z ptdrshnm:
Become an Insider and vote on a question:

Z) Gnv bzm H ehmc zm dmsqzmbd sn Sgd Zksdqmzsd Qdzkhsx Fzkd?
A) How can I find an entrance to The Alternate Reality Gale? {sic}
A) Vgzs'r sgd rxlank nm sgd vghsd eqzld?
B) What's the symbol on the white frame?

B) Vgzs gzoodmdc nm Lzx 0rs, 1905-
C) What happened on May 1st, 2016

Nq, adbnld z LdszFzldq zmc RTALHS XNTQ NVM PTDRSHNM.
Or, become a MetaGamer and SUBMIT YOUR OWN QUESTION.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 06:55:02 PM by Syncopal »

Offline Syncopal

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 07:50:44 PM »
Spoiled for META (No pun intended) spoilery opinions and thoughts so far:

I'm really torn on this. For years the ARG community has been fighting to find a way to make ARGs pay for themselves. I get that.... and I'm not adverse to it, I have fought for it myself and swore that I would support PM's who find creative ways to do it.

But I feel the above message from the youtube video is basically "Have you drank your Ovaltine" directing us to sign up for the patreon. A patreon that only has 7 members.... and if I join the smallest $2/month doesn't really let me play the game, it looks like either $9 a month which I think is fair for a well produced game... or $49 a month which is out of the question without knowing more.

Now this looks like it was set up for "The Alternate Reality Game" movie or interactive experience??? I don't know it and haven't seen it... has anyone else? Was it good? Maybe we need to solve the poster to really get a feel for it?

There is a IMDb page which gives me hope:  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8718796/

And I love that it is bilingual in English and Spanish!!

BUT it also seems like it's going to be crowdsourced? I mean with "voting on questions to use" "change the game if you're a member" etc.

I don't know... I guess I'm not sure if I'm willing to cross the paywall to find out yet. Which makes me sad in myself for not doing so... lol... I guess $9 to find out more isn't horrible. Does anyone know Claudia de Campo?  Does she have ARG experience?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 11:24:37 PM by Syncopal »

Offline Dominic1978

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 05:12:19 AM »
[Meta]
My thoughts so far:

I fully agree. I'm constantly thinking about alternative models that will guarantee both replayability and compensate in a way for time and money invested.
I'm not mad at this PM for that, but feel the commercial aspect is a bit too much interwoven between the paid metagame and the free ARG.
As in my approach would probably be more like have the ARG as a standalone for free, and have the Meta offer more and/or harder puzzles, looks behind the scene, the design process, etc.
But to each their own.

As for the game, I'm a horrible puzzle solver. My attention span is usually already too low to play ARGs, and I enjoy making them more than playing them. Having said that, I feel the rabbit hole is too vague. I know there's the part that said I would have to wait till November 22nd. So, does the poster actually lead to something? Or is it a red herring?

For now, I might focus more on other trailheads and see what happens on November 22nd.

Offline Dominic1978

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 05:16:22 AM »

Offline Syncopal

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 01:45:03 PM »
Just got this OoG email... it does give more information on what's happening with this. Apparently, it is a free Youtube series, then the game will be woven in and out of it.

One of the interesting things is that if you become a member you'll be given a credit on the Youtube series, which will then generate a IMDb page for you... which I have to admit might be cool just for giggles.

Anyways, the email does answer some of my questions from above... and I might just chip in to see where it goes. I gotta admit the production quality so far has been above par.

From subscriber to Founding Member, with your own credit on

Dear Subscriber,

Remember me, from this Tuesday?

From all the time you've been part of The Alternate Reality Game's Newsletter, you know we don't send many emails. There's a reason you're receiving two this week.

Did you have a chance to visit our website? Did you find any temporary portals to The Game? Did you take a look at METAGAME (the game about The Alternate Reality Game) despite the spoiler alert?
Make It as Official as It Gets

If you watched METAGAME's first episode, you might have considered following the series on YouTube (as you can subscribe for free). If this interactive story game got your attention, perhaps you made it all the way to the METAGAME Headquarters, and considered to join us.

I know I wrote you on a Tuesday, so perhaps you've just been working like a normal person would, although you and I know that you can't be all that normal because you signed up to this list in the first place.
Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that we have this cool perk at METAGAME that will end this Monday, which is that, when you become a MetaGamer, you'll get credited on-screen as a Founding Member on the next episode, which will generate an IMDb page with your name (if you don't have one already, of course).
I thought I'd just let you know because, even though I dislike email marketing, I would hate not being informed about this  after being on the list all this time.
Have a great weekend!

Claudia del Campo
Founder CEO & Game Creator
The Alternate Reality Game S.L.

ETA: Ok... I took the plunge to see what's going on with this. I became a Metagamer.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 02:28:19 PM by Syncopal »

Offline Syncopal

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 02:54:07 PM »
I joined the Metagame Patreon. I'm not going to talk about anything I find behind the paywall in respect to the creator. I'll do my solving of the public puzzles from the free Youtube vids here with anyone else who is following along.

I will however comment on how the game is being run and it's mechanics as we go... which I really find interesting. I'll spoiler that below.

The Youtube series is described in several places as a "choose-your-own-adventure". I was a bit confused by that at first, but now see what is happening. Apparently, in each episode there will be a puzzle/clues given etc. And when solving them there will be decision that will determine which episode will be broadcast next or where the story goes next. Those decisions will be made by the Metagame members.

Looking at  the puzzle above from Episode #0, the Metagame members get to vote on which question gets answered in the next episode. etc. I'm definitely more intrigued. This is a very interesting way to approach a branching narrative AND produce an income stream for the game. I'm excited to see where the creator takes it!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 02:56:56 PM by Syncopal »

Offline Russell

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2019, 06:42:08 PM »
Just before the code in the video is another image that hasnt been mentioned

Offline Syncopal

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 08:29:35 PM »
Totally missed that @Russell! Nice catch!

So I was looking at the poster again... pardon my horrible drawing lol!

But was trying to "connect the dots" so to speak lol.... I connected the 3's,6's, and 9's and they are kind of like constellations:

The Big Dipper
The Southern Star
And Orion's belt??

It might just be me stretching a bit but maybe your image @Russel might fit over the poster to show something else?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 08:56:51 PM by Syncopal »