Author Topic: Time Keepers Meta  (Read 80 times)

Offline Dominic1978

• Agent of Madness
    • View Profile
    • Agent of Madness
Time Keepers Meta
« on: September 19, 2017, 02:28:32 AM »
Players received the following e-mail:
Spoiler: show

Hello Everyone!

As you know, the Time Keepers ARG has been moving forward rather slowly. This is due to the fact that it was originally designed to be much more highly interactive, with some of the puzzles requiring a bit of group think and "big picture" mysteries rather than specific puzzles. I was hoping that players would explore the website a bit more and begin to question to TK Staff members posted on website (Phil, Becca, and Sam). HOWEVER, this is NOT the fault of the players but rather poor design on my part coupled with the failure of the Unforums right before my launch. Everyone who has played has blown me away with their level of dedication and interaction. I want to emphasize that it's an ARG design problem, NOT an audience problem.

I was completely thrilled and happy about the new site arg.world, but don't think the game picked up enough momentum after that. Once again, I completely blame myself for having set up a faulty game structure.

Anyway, the whole point of this rambling post to say that I have some new ideas for how to move forward with Time Keepers. I'm thinking of planning more of a serialized fiction structure with embedded clues that will provide further immersion for the story (communication with various characters and buried details and information), but are not required to follow along.

I am hashing out a new outline this week and should have a big update ready for Thursday. After that I will do weekly updates with a new "episode" every Thursday. These will be posted on the blog and the hidden clues will be revealed via the Destination 000 website. GJ will also continue to send out emails. Feel free to remove yourself from this list by emailing with the word UNSUBCRIBE in the subject line.

Thank you to everyone who has played along! You all are the most wonderful audience and group of players.

-TK PM

What are your thoughts on this?

Personally, I believe there's nothing wrong with the design of the game and this PM has a case of bad luck in regards to the unforums situation.
I'm not a very patient ARG player, so I have tried to play games in the past only to give up pretty quickly. So far this game kept me interested the longest, which, to me, shows it was very well made (and incredibly well written).
It must be disappointing to spend so much time on something and then have so few people play it.
(Not the fault of those people and neither the fault of the design, just a wrong place wrong time thing I guess.)
I also agree that in this situation a serialized approach might be best in a way that new players can read up and jump in and hopefully increase the number of players.